The administration of the Medical University – Sofia and its units is carried out by academic bodies elected with a four- year term.
Administration bodies are the General Assembly, the Academic council and the Rector
The General Assembly is a supreme administration body. The General Assembly has 400 members and includes representatives of the academic staff, regular PhD students, students and administrative staff.
The General Assembly has the following powers:
1. It adopts and changes the Medical University-Sofia organization and activity rules
2. It elects a Chairman and Vice-Chairman during its term.
3. It confirms the policy, the main directions and priorities of University development and the activity plan.
4. It elects the Rector of the Medical University-Sofia
5. It determines the structure and the number of the Academic Council.
6. It determines the number and the members of the Control Council and elects for its term a chairman, vice-chairman and members of the Control Council.
7. It discusses and adopts the annual Rector’s report about the University state
8. It discusses and passes the annual report of the Control Council.
9. It changes and/or nullifies decisions of the Academic Council and Rector.
The Academic Council is a University team administration body. The Academic Council consists of 45 members and includes representatives of the Academic staff, students, PhD students and employees.
The Academic Council has the following powers:
1. It plans the University educational policy, passes the mandate program and controls its implementation.
2. It passes the University annual activity report.
3. It makes an offer to the Council of Ministers for opening, reorganizing and closing down faculties, institutes, branches and colleges in the Medical University-Sofia structure.
4. It decides about opening, reorganizing or closing departments and services in the Medical University-Sofia
5. It determines the subjects, forms and degrees to educate and proposes the number of the students to be admitted.
6. It confirms or changes the qualification characteristics and curricula for specialists’ training according to the University degrees.
7. It determines the Medical University-Sofia research policy and decides on main questions of the organization and research.
8. It determines the structure of the Medical University-Sofia General Assembly
9. It determines the Medical University-Sofia staff policy, approves the Academic personnel job descriptions and adopts appraisal regulation.
10. It elects Vice-Rectors for the term of office by a Rector’s suggestion.
11. It decides on cooperation with higher schools and scientific organizations.
12. It passes and controls the Medical University-Sofia general budget.
13. It confirms the budget of the units annually within the Medical University-Sofia general budget.
14. It decides and announces competitions for regular assistants, associate professors and professors on the suggestions of the Medical University-Sofia main units.
15. It confers the honorary doctorates.
16. It confirms the internal regulation and Medical University-Sofia educational, research rules and other normative acts.
17. It works and introduces an evaluation and quality education keeping up system of the Medical University-Sofia academic staff including students’ opinion study.
18. It confirms the academic staff educational workload norms
19. It decides on the habilitated lecturers’ employment contract prolongation pursuant to the Law on Higher Education
20. It elects permanent and temporary commissions and other auxiliary bodies and determines their functions.
This is a habilitated person who meets all the requirements for this tenure.
The Rector has the following powers and duties:
1. The Rector represents the Medical University-Sofia
2. He or She leads, organizes, controls and coordinates all the activity of the Medical University-Sofia
3. He for she proposes before the academic or state bodies and organizes the work on strategic question of the Medical University-Sofia and its future development regarding:
subjects and curricula
structure of the Medical University-Sofia; opening, closing and reorganizing the main, servicing and auxiliary units
selection, motivation and development of all people working for the Medical University-Sofia
relations with other educational institutions
educational structure and form, qualification gained
Medical University-Sofia participation in the higher education development in Bulgaria and international integration in the field of the higher education and science
4. He or she organizes and ensures the educational activity and application campaign
5. He or she signs or terminates employment contracts.
6. He or she appoints and discharges on procedure the Vice-Rectors, the directors and deputy directors of the main units, the department heads and the persons holding the positions equated with them.
7. He or she appoints one-time, temporarily for three months, if there are vacancies, persons to perform the functions of a leading elective office
8. He or she signs contracts, written statements and other documents relating to the Medical University –Sofia on University level.
9. He or she decides definitively on all questions about admission, striking off and students’ changing the University.
10. He or she leads the work on the Medical University Sofia budget draft according to the Academic Council principles and observes the lawful and purposeful use of the means and material resources.
11. He or she manages the building and maintenance of the Medical University-Sofia necessary equipment.
12. He or she prepares and proposes the Medical University Sofia annual report to the Academic Council to be accepted and to be published.
13. He or she organizes the preparation and confirmation of the internal normative acts
14. He or she controls the implementation of syllabuses, curricula and the whole educational activity of the Medical University-Sofia
15. He or she nominates one or more Vice-Rectors and each of them is responsible for the overall activity of the sphere they direct.
The Control Council /CS/ consists of a chairman, vice-chairman and members who are habilitated persons. They cannot be members of the Academic Council.
The Control Council has the following powers and duties:
1. It controls the lawfulness of the elections for the Medical University – Sofia governing bodies and its main units within a month of their holding and reports to the Academic Council about the results.
2. It prepares a statement on Medical University-Sofia budget draft and its implementation and reports it before the Academic Council and General Assembly.
3. It participates in the inspections of the disciplinary dismissal cases.
4. It reports about its work before the Medical University-Sofia General Assembly one time annually at least.