The regalia of the Medical University-Sofia are connected with the medical knowledge and the varied activity of the medical profession. They express the union of the University faculties: those of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy and Public Health. These are marks to confirm the Medical University-Sofia as an Institution of higher education. They have representative functions and are always present on ceremonial occasions.
ACADEMIC MARK – includes the arch – the Aleksandrovska Hospital entrance, the oldest Medical University-Sofia clinic, a symbol of the traditions and continuity of the medical education; the oldest medical emblem (about 800 B.C.) combination of a snake and a staff expressing the link of the curing person with the nature and the strength of the nature itself.
FLAG – The flag of the Medical University-Sofia is crimson – violet. On one side, the academic mark is embroidered with a gold thread, enclosed by the inscription “MEDICAL UNIVERSITY-SOFIA”. On the other side, the name of the University is also embroidered with a gold thread in Latin – UNIVERSITAS MEDICINAE SERDICENSIS. According to the symbolic meaning of colours, the violet colour expresses dignity, justice and restraint.
SYMBOLS OF THE RECTOR’S DIGNITY AND UNITY OF THE UNIVERSITY
SCEPTRE – The scepter of the Medical University-Sofia consists of the following elements:
1. The Asclepius’s stuff containing all the elements – it is a symbol of power, authority, dignity.
2. The academic mark of the Medical University is placed on the top. The arch bears the text: UNIVERSITAS MEDICINAE SERDICENSIS. The small cross, symbol of the compassion, crowns the arch too.
3. The four rings symbolize the strength, power and unity of the four faculties- of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy and Public Health.
4. Bull’s head – guard of the arch entrance. As a solar strength, symbolizes the power and strength of the nature. It personifies the rector’s dignity.
5. Sunbeams – superior cosmic strength, entity of the Universe, whose element is the human being.
6. Ribbon with Latin inscription: erudiendo, educando, curando (educate, explore, treat). The ribbon means glory, victory, devotion. It embraces the sacred and honoured object / the arch/ - the oldest clinic entrance.
During ceremonies the Rector designates a person to carry the sceptre, so called “sceptre bearer”. This person carries the sceptre before the Rector and must be an eminent assistant in the Medical University-Sofia. That designation is an expression of a high opinion. The sceptre bearer puts on a black mantle as long as under the knees.
RECTOR’S GOWN AND HAT – they are introduced into the academic ritual by a Medical Academy Presidium’s decision in 1987 as a symbol of the Rector’s power and dignity. Venera Naslednikova, a suit history specialist, is author of the gown and hat. Until 2003 the gown is black with a white collar and cuffs. The Medical University-Sofia’s regulations of 10 April 2003 changes the colour of the Rector’s gown and hat to be in harmony with the colour of the University flag, that is - crimson – violet. The collar and the cuffs remain white. The Vice-Rectors put on black gowns with white collars and cuffs.
RECTOR’S NECKLAC – It was introduced into the academic ceremonies as a special sign of the Rector’s dignity, the highest University’s representative. It synthesizes the University appearance including the academic signs of the four faculties: of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Pharmacy and Public Health combined with the University academic mark. The arch of the oldest Bulgarian medical school clinic emphasizes the tradition and continuity of the medical education.